Thursday, October 08, 2015

Patchwork of the Crosses

In a previous post, I shared some of my ideas for using up scraps left over from making the Lucy Boston blocks.  One of my favorites is to use the scraps as filler or stuffing for pet beds that are then donated to a dog rescue group.
The mats are so easy to make and I use all types of fabric or batting scraps to stuff  them so there is absolutely no waste coming from my sewing room.  In fact, I've had so many people drop off bags of their scraps plus the scraps I collect from the shop, that I've been able to make MANY mats to donate to the rescue shelter!
I thought you might enjoy seeing one of the happy recipients...
This sweet dog was found close to death with heavy chains still wrapped around his neck and stomach - you can still see some of the marks left by the chains.  He's now one of the happiest dogs you'll ever meet since he's been placed in a loving foster home until he can find his "forever" home.  As you can see, he LOVES the mat he was given.
As quilters, we tend to save even the smallest pieces of fabric for a future quilt project.  And most of us still  have those bags or bins full of  scraps still sitting around waiting patiently to be used.  For me, this is a "guilt free"  way to get some of those scraps (that I'm  honestly probably never going to use!) out of my sewing area.
When I received this picture, it just made me happy!  And I'm loving the cleaned out scrap bins in my studio!!

No comments: